Mortgage Experts Blog

< back to blog home

Case Study: Is co-ownership the solution to cracking the market?

Marty McDonald - Thursday, May 25, 2017

Property co-ownership with parents putting up the bulk of the deposit and the children providing the bulk of the loan servicing can be an innovative and beneficial way for parents to help their children get into the property market without some of the usual pitfalls.

The scenario:

Recently we assisted a mother and daughter buy a property together for $750,000 in Sydney.  The daughter was to reside in the property and have a 60% ownership share, with the mother owning the remaining 40%. She would remain in her own home. The daughter could service a loan of $450,000 so this is the amount that was (jointly) borrowed. The intention was the daughter would service the loan ongoing. The mother put in the bulk of the other funds required i.e. the remaining $300,000 and they split the costs of stamp duty and legals. They also drew up a co-ownership agreement to ensure both parties were clear about the ongoing expectations and responsibilities of the arrangement.

The benefits for parents:

  • No need to put their own home on the line i.e. they are not guaranteeing the child’s loan by providing their own home as security.
  • They can potentially share in the capital gains upside when the property is sold.
  • Helps their child into property with a smaller loan than would be the case with a guarantor option.
  • No risk of losing their capital via a relationship breakup. Their child may get divorced or have a family falling out but the parent’s ownership % remains intact.

The downsides for parents:

  • Capital is tied up with no return (besides future capital gains).
  • Jointly liable for the loan with their child.
  • Reduced ongoing borrowing capacity.
  • For the children, the key benefits are a smaller loan to service and a leg up into the market.  Give us a call today to discuss whether co-ownership could be a good option for you.

 

About the Author: Marty McDonald is principal of mortgage broker “Mortgage Experts”. Marty specialises in assisting active property investors with loan structuring advice and implementation as well as helping credit worthy borrowers with slightly outside the box income and employment situations. Find Marty on and LinkedIn.

What our clients are saying

    "Marty was fantastic! We swore never to use a broker again after bad experiences with other brokers in the past, and our last loan we negotiated ourselves, however this time we needed a mortgage... " – Blake Millgate
    "It is impossible to exaggerate how highly I rate Mortgage Experts and my experience with Marty McDonald... " – Brendan Arlington
    "Mortgage Experts have provided a fantastic experience in an area that can be complicated and emotional. Marty was always clear and precise and always made time to discuss the matters at hand... " – Brett Parker
    "I was really impressed with Marty's services. He was responsive to emails and calls, considered a range of options, and kept me informed at every stage. He was also very patient... " – Elise Darsow
    "Marty was great to deal with. From initial contact to finding a perfect solution and strategy to our situation to then securing the funding in a tight time frame nothing was too much trouble... " – Nick and Blaise Porter
    "Great service! All the advice I've received in the past has been really helpful. Love the newsletters which keep me updated on developments in the market. Highly recommended! " – Nick Jolly
    "I have used Marty's mortgage brokerage service (Mortgage Experts). He has been professional, resourceful, gone beyond the call of duty in servicing my mortgage. He has been able to... " – Prithvi Moses
    "We’re both really happy to have been able to get this sale across the line and are particularly grateful for you finding us a way to make the finance work! Walking into our new home... " – Sarah Macdonald & Stewart Bovell
    "We found Marty McDonald from Mortgage Experts through a Google search because he had a hugely informative page about family trust loans. Choosing Marty as our broker was a huge blessing... " – Tracey Cools

Our Current Lender Panel

Lex Luther Enterprises Pty Ltd (ABN 58114636949) trading as “Mortgage Experts” is an Authorised Credit Representative (444479) of Martin Warren Thomas McDonald, Australian Credit Licence (391230) under s64(1) of the National Consumer Protection Act 2009.